Continously increase the value that adds to society and environment
- The only Turkish company to be selected for the Dow Jones Sustainability Emerging Markets Index.
- First bank in Turkey to sign the United Nations Global Compact’s (UNGC) Business Leadership Criteria on Carbon Leadership.
- First Turkish bank to join the “Caring for Climate” (C4C) initiative, which supports the stance of the business world against climate change.
- First Turkish bank to become a member of “WeConnect International”, a global initiative, which is aimed at including women entrepreneurs in the supply chain.
- The only Turkish Bank and one of only two Banks in the world to be included as a case study in the UN components’ report named “The Business Case for Responsible Corporate Adaptation: Strengthening Private Sector and Community Resilience”.
- The only Turkish company that was included in the CDP Global Leaders Report by being selected to the highest performance band (A) and was awarded with the CDP 2015 Climate Performance Leadership award.
- Obtained the highest score among the companies included in the Carbon Disclosure Leadership Index and became 1 of the 5 companies that were included in the top 10% of the index and won the CDP Turkey 2015 Climate Disclosure Leadership award.
- Attended the “Energy Efficiency Global Movement” panel organized by the Lima-Paris Action Agenda (LPAA) during COP21 as a speaker.
- Disclosed its Climate Change Position Statement & Action Plan
- Successfully qualified for the second year in a row for the Borsa Istanbul (BIST) Sustainability Index as 1 of the 29 Turkish companies that qualified.
- Obtained limited assurance for its water consumption, energy consumption, renewable energy portfolio and Environmental and Social Impact Assessment Process (ESIAP) for the first time for GRI G4 Comprehensive Sustainability Reporting, in addition to Scope 1 and Scope 2 greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
- Supported the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) 2015 Energy Efficiency Finance Forum and declared a new commitment on energy efficiency.
- Started to support the HeforShe initiative that emphasizes men’s support for women’s right and gender equality.
- Increased the number of facilities covered by its Environmental Management System (EMS) to 1,013, covering 100% of its employees.
- Examined 12 projects thoroughly in accordance with Environmental and Social Impact Assessment Model (ESIAM).
- Achieved an increase of 32% in the amount of recycled waste.
- Supported two workshops for responding companies by being the main sponsor to CDP Turkey Water Program.
- Established the Woman Steering Committee to empower women socially and economically.
- Continued its support for disabled customers with 150 disabled-friendly branches, 30 orthopedically impaired-friendly ATMs, 561 visually impaired-friendly ATMs, 124 visually and orthopedically impaired-friendly ATMs and 11,721 employees who completed disability-friendly training.
- Organized 100 meetings in 68 provinces with nearly 31,000 SMEs with Garanti Anatolian Meetings.
- 6,662 people attended the Women Entrepreneurship Meetings, which have been held in 31 provinces since 2008.
- Provided 2.8 billion TL loans to women entrepreneurs by the end of 2015.
- Share of women employees was retained at 57%.
- 300 women received certificates in 5 provinces within the scope of the Women Entrepreneurs Executive School
- Total loans provided to renewable energy investments exceeded US Dollar 4 billion.
- The share of established wind power capacity in Turkey was 34%.
- New sustainability strategy and policy of Garanti Bank were approved by its Board of Directors.
- Prepared sustainability report, covering the 18-month period to the end of 2013, in accordance with the new Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines to comprehensive option.
- Reported on its GHG emissions and climate change impact as part of the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP), the 5th time. Received limited assurance of GHG emissions on its annual CDP report, for the first time.
- Received "CDP 2014 Turkey Climate Disclosure Leadership” award by getting the highest score among the 42 companies evaluated in “Carbon Disclosure Leadership Index”.
- Qualified for the Borsa Istanbul Sustainability Index with its sustainability approach and performance based on environmental, governance and social criteria.
- Completed its annual Communication on Progress to the UN Global Compact.
- Demonstrated support for ambitious action on climate change by announcing new commitments in 6 areas throughout its value chain during the United Nations Climate Week. http://business.un.org/en/commitments/3898
- In support of the transition to a low carbon economy, launched its new product to finance SMEs’ small-scale solar power projects.
- Increased the number of its service points, within the scope of ISO 14001 certified Environmental Management System, to 605 which covers nearly %70 of the Bank’s employees.
- Became the first bank to receive a Green Office diploma from WWF Turkey by successfully completing the WWF Green Office Programme launched at its Head Office building.
- Adopted Women’s Empowerment Principles, which were developed in 2010 by a collaboration between the UN Global Compact and UN Women.
- Awarded by European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) with the "Sustainability Award for Environmental and Social Performance” for its comprehensive environmental social risk assessment system.
- Received World Finance’s “The Best Bank for Sustainability in Turkey” award for the second time.
- Recognised as “Best Bank in Sustainability” by the Turkish Green Building Council (GBC).
- Awarded by Association Otherways Management & Consulting with “Global Green Award”.
- Signed “Energy Efficiency in Buildings” manifesto developed by the Business Council for Sustainable Development in Turkey.
- Increased the number of service points which are included in the Environmental Management System to 260, which covers nearly %50 of the Bank’s employees.
- Launched an e-learning programme about its Environmental and Social Risk Management for its employees involved in lending operations.
- Became the first Turkish Bank to be assigned an A level for its Sustainability Report by GRI (Global Reporting Initiative).
- Recognized as “Best Bank for Sustainability in Turkey“ by World Finance Magazine.
- Awarded by IAIR, the first magazine that focuses on the global economy and sustainability, with “Best Bank for Sustainability – Europe” award.
- Joined the pilot programme of the International Integrated Reporting Council (IIRC).
- Established a full-time “Sustainability Team” under the Project and Acquisition Finance Department
- Signed up to the United Nations Global Compact.
- Became the first bank in Turkey to become a member of the Turkish Business Council for Sustainable Development (TBCSD).
- Received the “2012 Turkey – Carbon Performance Leadership” award from Carbon Disclosure Project by receiving the highest score in the performance category among 32 participating companies.
- Joined the WWF Green Office Program.
- Set up its Environmental Management System and Environmental Policy.
- Assumed, with the ISO 14001 certificate, the title as the Turkish bank that implement an Environmental Management System in the highest number of buildings and to the broadest extent.
- Became the first and only institution in Turkey to be deemed worthy of the Investors in People (IIP) certificate in the “Gold” category. IIP is the only international standard in the world to certify the quality of companies’ HR practices.
- Launched the Sustainability E-Learning Program that is open to all Bank employees.
- Joined the “HP Planet Partnership Program” for the disposal of used printer cartridges.
- Underlined the financial sector’s determination to support sustainable growth by undertaking a commitment into the credit appraisal process at the 2012 UN Sustainable Development Conference (Rio+20), which promotes cooperation between the public and private sectors.
- Decided to make Executives Summit and Future Meetings carbon-neutral.
- Launched efforts to facilitate disabled customers’ access to financial services.
- Started its first initiative for an environment-friendly supply chain by including a binding provision concerning full compliance with Garanti Bank’s Environmental Management System in supplier contracts.
- Brought the “Rotaban” project into practice which aims to reduce fuel consumption of Garanti Bank’s personnel service buses in Istanbul.
- Became a member of United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative (UNEP FI).
- Implemented the “Environmental and Social Loan Policies” following endorsement of the Policies by the Board of Directors.
- Established the Environmental and Social Impact Assessment System and began to test it.
- Started the construction of the Pendik Technology Campus, which is designed according to the LEED criteria.
- Began to organize the KOBİLGİ (SME Information) seminars enriched with examples and practices where developments related to areas such as legislation, marketing and sales are explained by experts.
- Established “SALT”, in an important milestone in the Bank’s longstanding support for culture and the arts.
- Received acknowledgment in the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) Global 500 Report 2011.
- Increased its share in active Wind Energy Power Plants in Turkey to 40%.
- Held the Executives Summit with the “Sustainable Growth” theme.
- For the first time, submitted its greenhouse gas emissions and climate change strategy to the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP).
- Established the Sustainability Committee.
- Established “Atölye” (Workshop), a project-based innovation platform.
- Began to calculate its greenhouse gas emissions for the first time.
- Founded the “Öğretmen Akademisi Vakfı (Teachers Academy Foundation).
- Established a Social Responsibility Club called ‘Gönüllü Yoncalar’ (Voluntary Clovers), with a total of 70 members.
- Launched the “Öğretmenin Sınırı Yok” (No Limits in Teaching) project in cooperation with the Ministry of Education and allocated TL 15 million in resources to the project.
- Received WWF’s Golden Panda Award for the second time.
- Introduced the Environmentally Friendly Bonus Card, a first in Turkey and Europe as an ecologically sound product featuring environmentally friendly plastic, communication materials and donation characteristics.
- Put “Önersen” into service for employees to provide opinions and suggestions.
Began to virtualize servers in order to increase energy efficiency in the data centres, where electricity consumption is highest per unit area.
- The first Turkish bank to implement a “Paperless Banking” project including the implementation of the ID scanning practice in branches, a world first.
- The first Turkish private bank to offer “Woman Entrepreneurs Support Package”.
- The first Turkish company to receive the Investors in People (IIP) achievement certificate for the quality of its human resources practices.
- Started Garanti Anatolian Meetings, which aim to bring representatives of SMEs and local administrations together in order to ensure that regional solutions can be devised.
- 13 June 16Sustainability Activities
- 01 December 15Garanti Bankası, teknoloji ve yaratıcılığı Hackathon'da Buluşturuyor
- 01 December 15Garanti Bankası Growtech Konferansı
- 02 September 15Interview with Mr. Fuat Erbil, President & CEO